Success Of Ivf?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mchelle

Mchelle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Interests:photography, outdoors (fishing, camping, 4-wheeling, etc), writing, movies, crafty things and hanging out with my husband.

Mom to 2 beautiful twin girls born via DE IVF in December 2010.

Posted 24 January 2008 - 05:11 PM

For those that have tried IVF with DE what was the success.  I've been reading on it and it seems to me that first attempts aren't usually successful.  For those that had a child this way or know of others that did...was the first time successful?  if not how many tries did it take?  

Also anyone know anything as to if autoimmune related POF can still be successful with DE or if the immune system would attack the egg?  

I'm hoping I'll have less questions to ask once I can talk to RE on Monday but THANKS for the help in the meantime :) You gals are saving my sanity most days :)

Michelle
* diagnosed with POF/POI: Nov 2007
* mom to twin girls born via DE IVF in December 2010 (first try...thank goodness)
* hypothyroid due to Graves (hyperthyroid) treated in 2005 with RAI
* taking BCPs (LoSeasonique) for HRT
* went to NIH study in July 08--no known cause

#2 scout

scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, canoeing, SCUBA, family, reading, skiing, wine, food & nutrition, travel.

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:17 PM

Mchelle,

Success rates vary, I'm told, but they are often quite good because you are using young, fresh eggs.  I've seen clinics boast live birth success rates with ED/IVF in excess of 80%, but I think this is unusual.

There is a *pinned* post at the top of the Infertility forum that has a link to the success rates reported by all clinics in the U.S.  Are you in the States? (I forget, sorry).  

This doesn't answer all of your questions, but I thought it might help you in your research.  

Scout
Symptoms @ age 34 when I went off BCPs.
Married Jan 2007.  Dx EM/POF in April 2007 while TTC.
DE/IVF July 1/08 - now Mom to 2 yr old.

#3 Mchelle

Mchelle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Interests:photography, outdoors (fishing, camping, 4-wheeling, etc), writing, movies, crafty things and hanging out with my husband.

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:20 PM

Scout:
Thank you for your help.  I am in the states so I will have to check out the clinics around us and what they say.  Thank you again though.
Mchelle
* mom to twin girls born via DE IVF in December 2010 (first try...thank goodness)

#4 scout

scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, canoeing, SCUBA, family, reading, skiing, wine, food & nutrition, travel.

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:37 PM

You're welcome! Best of luck with your appt next Monday.

#5 carol30

carol30

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:47 AM

Hi
I fell pregnant 2nd and 3rd attempt (both frosties) personally I think you are more anxious 1st attempt because you dont know what to expect.
Good luck
Carol x
Symptoms started when I was 20, finally diagnosed at full pof at 22.
Currently perscribed Evorel 75 patches + duphaston 10mg days 15-28.
Been married for 7 years, been with my husband 14 years.
1st try at egg donation was a failure.
2nd try April 2006
Rhys born on 31.12.2006 our little angel
3rd try October 2007
Baby due in June 2008

#6 redtoaster

redtoaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 01:21 AM

hi! We did IVF twice and it worked each time the first  time. Our donor- same anon. donor -is pretty young- 21 years old the first time and 23 the second time, so I think that has alot to do with success. As for me, I have no other problems except for POF and dh has no other issues. Good luck to you!!!

#7 chiacchierona11

chiacchierona11

• Moderators
  • 795 posts
  • Interests:singing; reading; cooking; bellydancing :)

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:46 PM

Dear Michelle,

I think you and I are in very similar places in our looking into IVF, etc.  One really great website in looking into live birth rates for clinics is SART (Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology).  In addition, I have always heard an average of 25% change per attempt at IVF.  That being said, every woman is different and for some it works very well and on the first attempt, for others it can take several attempts. You can also speak with your clinic (if you have chosen one or if you have a doctor affiliated with one that you will be using) about their live birth rates.  You always want to also check the incidence of multiples as an extremely high rate can be concerning (also check how many embryos are transferred on any given transfer).  A good clinic has a moderate rate of multiples and a modest number of embryos transferred.

I hope this helps some.

Take care,
Beth
The POFer formerly known as hrhpmv19

dx @ 15, now 26.

A VERY HAPPY NEWLYWED!!! Married to the man of my dreams on November 4, 2007 in Philadelphia, PA

Proud mama to new and adorable furbabies Luna and Gigi http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mirzai/my_photos

"Quello che il bruco chiama fine del mondo, il resto del mondo chiama farfalla"
That which the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the rest of the world calls a butterfly.

#8 Mchelle

Mchelle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 06:56 PM

Scout, Redtoaster, Carol and Beth:  Thanks so much for the help and advice.  I've looked at the SART website and CDC reports which was helpful.  The RE we saw said the donor rates are about 60% at their clinic.

Are donor rates typically higher then non-donor? I know donor is only POF option but just curious from what I saw/read on the sites.  

Also does age of donor make a big difference?  My sister will be 32 by the time we get to IVF in a couple years...is this bad or is it better to go with a younger donor?  

THANKS AGAIN!!

#9 scout

scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:09 PM

Hi Mchelle,

I don't think you can truly compare donor vs. non-donor IVF cycles re: success rates.  I think of it as comparing apples & oranges.  With non-donor IVF, they tend to group women by their age group, and the younger age groups usually have the higher success rates.  With ED/IVF, age of the intended mother is not that relevant, as the eggs will almost always come from someone in the 19 - 32 y/o age group.

Most clinics have a specific age range for donors, whether known or unknown.  You may want to check with your RE what that range is.  

Scout

#10 Huldrun

Huldrun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:55 AM

Hiya
Just wanted to say that for us it worked first time and we transfered one, donor was 32, same as what your sister will be.