9 replies to this topic

#1 Colie

Colie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 11:54 AM

Hi There,
I am just curious what other people's FSH is while on hrt.

Is there really insignificant?  Is there any significance?  Mine is 4.4 and a doctor was surprised it was that low; but I told him that I was on hrt and have been for almost 1 year.

I guess just a curious thought; question.

thank you!
Colie
33  finally got the "early dx"  - although I had a MAJOR hint myself since I know my body!!!  My Current Cocktail of meds:  Vivel dot 1 milligram   prometrium 100 mg for 12 days - vaginally;  Testostrone Capsule 1 milligram compounded

#2 dianap

dianap

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:31 PM

Hi,

I'm on BCPs and mine came back at less than 1.  My endocrinologist was surprised and thought that my ovaries had started again.  So, I went off the BCPs and the symptoms came back.

Diana
-dx at 37 symptoms at least a year (perhaps earlier but trouble remembering:)--currently 38
- daughter naturally conceived at 34 w/o difficulty, nasty thoughts when she didn't sleep and breastfed for 15 months which sometimes makes me feel that I started all this
- tried with Ovridrel to conceive but rarely could take it due to high fsh and sad that ovaries not working and baby seems very unlikely
- mother pof at 42 (might have been earlier but was on bcp until 42), grandmother at 36
- just started Premarin 0.3 mg and Provera 2.5 mg

#3 Mchelle

Mchelle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Interests:photography, outdoors (fishing, camping, 4-wheeling, etc), writing, movies, crafty things and hanging out with my husband.

Mom to 2 beautiful twin girls born via DE IVF in December 2010.

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:57 PM

Doctors are so clueless at times.  Do they not even know how HRT and BCPs work?  I'm sorry that it wasn't a remission for you diana though.  I haven't had mine tested while on HRT as my RE doesn't think it's useful to do so (I guess he's prob right but I'm still curious).  Good luck girls :)
* diagnosed with POF/POI: Nov 2007
* mom to twin girls born via DE IVF in December 2010;  expecting a single in October 2014 from FET #2 with donor egg.
* hypothyroid due to Graves (hyperthyroid) treated in 2005 with RAI
* went to NIH study (no longer active study) in July 08--no known cause

#4 laurainvt

laurainvt

• Moderators
  • 935 posts
  • Interests:dance, pilates, reading

Posted 21 August 2008 - 01:08 AM

Testing FSH while on HRT (or bcp) is useless and will not give you a correct reading-it will be falsely suppressed in most cases.

The reason FSH is high in POFers is that it is trying to signal the ovaries to produce estrogen to support a follicle. Since our ovaries don't respond to FSH with estrogen the brain tries harder and harder by cranking out more and more FSH, but our e2 stays low. In HRT the estrogen is replaced, tricking the brain into thinking we have estrogen and FSH can stay low.

FWIW, my FSH on HRT is usually 4ish. I haven't had it tested off of estrogen since the NIH over 5 years ago, but it was in the high 70's at that time.
Laura
Vivelle dot .1 + femring .05
Prometrium  200 4x year
POF diagnosed at 23 but symptoms since my teens, now 30
Hypothyroid
Osteopenia

#5 Colie

Colie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 02:16 AM

thanks Ladies; false hope; I thought it was useless but one doctor was almost impressed that my FSH was so low.

I apprecaite your help :)
33  finally got the "early dx"  - although I had a MAJOR hint myself since I know my body!!!  My Current Cocktail of meds:  Vivel dot 1 milligram   prometrium 100 mg for 12 days - vaginally;  Testostrone Capsule 1 milligram compounded

#6 gatorgirl

gatorgirl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 07:36 PM

Sorry to bring up an old post but I just saw my new dr. I was dx'd 2.5 years ago in POF with FSH 58. Estrogen <20. My symptoms were horrible vertigo and migraines. For the past year, I have been having ovarian cysts. The new dr. tested my FSH (on vivelle dot .05 and Prometrium 100mg qd) and said. "You are not menopausal! "My FSH was 6. He wants me to go off the hormones for 2 weeks and retest. UGH! I said that I would try but if the vertigo returned then he better draw the blood earlier. He says that if your menopausal that HRT would not supress the FSH. Does anyone have any research articles etc. that shows this is not the case??
Thanks.
~Gatorgirl
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Age 41
Diagnosed August 2006
Day 3 FSH 58 Estradiol <20
Now Vivelle  Dot .1mg and Prometrium 200mg daily

"Everything to excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks!"

#7 Colie

Colie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 01:50 AM

interesting; PLEASE keep me posted and let us know!

Also; if you can keep us posted about how you feel with sans hormones;

a.k.a; no hormones!

if that nasty vertigo comes back; I heard that stuff is pretty fierce!

good luck Gator!
colie

#8 scout

scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, canoeing, SCUBA, family, reading, skiing, wine, food & nutrition, travel.

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:26 PM

Hi Gatorgirl,

I found some infformation on the POF support website that may help you.  Here is the link: [url="http://www.pofsupport.org/information/doctors_faq/drfaqsantoro3.htm"][url]http://www.pofsupport.org/information/doct...faqsantoro3.htm[/url][/url]

Here it reads: "HRT will lower your FSH, but that does not mean anything with regard to your ovarian function. Your FSH IS an indicator of ovarian function when you are not on hormones, but the level is meaningless while taking HRT. A given FSH level on a given day will not tell you your 'prognosis'. It's like taking a snapshot of your speedometer in your car and assuming that that's what it's doing now, when it is parked in your driveway! FSH changes too dynamically to be of great use as a predictors of what you will be doing in the future."

Hope this helps.
Scout
Symptoms @ age 34 when I went off BCPs.
Married Jan 2007.  Dx EM/POF in April 2007 while TTC.
DE/IVF July 1/08 - now Mom to 2 yr old.

#9 gatorgirl

gatorgirl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 01:34 PM

Thanks Scout. I got on there but didn't check that page.
~Gatorgirl
Age 41
Diagnosed August 2006

"Everything to excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks!"

#10 gatorgirl

gatorgirl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 04:07 PM

My Update...
Well, I went off the hormones for 2 weeks. Stopped on day 5, had blood work on day 20(even though I insisted on Day3) and my FSH was 38. I wonder what it would have been on Day 3?
Needless to say, I am back on hormones. The dr. thinks that I need more hormones so he increased my dosage to Vivelle Dot .1mg with continuous prometrium.
The first year and half that I was on hormones, I took the higher dose and didn't have any problems with ovarian cysts. When they had switched me to the patch, they lowered my dose. New dr. thinks that it wasn't high enough and just enough for my body to try to make more thus causing the cysts.
Hope this makes sense. I'll see how this goes.
~Gatorgirl
Age 41
Diagnosed August 2006