3 replies to this topic

#1 KEL9611

KEL9611

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 01:04 PM

Hi Ladies,
I have not posted in a little while but I have been reading the blogs daily and as I'm sure most of you know, this site has been so helpful to me.  While my husband and friends have been great I feel a lot better knowing there are people out there that relate to me.

I meet with my doc a little less than a month ago and he told me I did not have POF yet but I am heading that way.  My day 3 FSH levels have been taken at a 20 and an 18.  My periods are normal every month and I don't have any other symptoms of POF so he said that he I have a chance to concieve.  I decided to go straight to IVF and not waste time with any other fertility treatments since I see time as my enemy right now.  Right now I am going through the initial tests and I had to go see an endocrinologist about my thyroid (one test was on the higher side of normal).  With the IVF getting closer I am getting excited although I keep telling myself that I need to be realistic and not get my hopes up.  I am also starting to look at the costs of doing this which of course raises my stress level (and it is all my husband talks about which doesn't help).  Luckily I do have a $10K lifetime fertility benefit through insurance but based on my research, that will only cover 1 IVF cycle.  My husband and I just got out of debt and now we are going right back into it and based on my reseach the odds are not good.  Personally I can't give up the hope of having a baby no matter what the cost but I wonder if I'm being unrealistic.  Does anyone out there think I'm being unrealistic that this could work?  Has anyone had similar FSH levels to me and has had success with IVF?
I guess I'm just looking for a positive story to lift my hopes.
In the meantime, thank you to each and every one of you out there posting and reading - you have all made this easier for me.

#2 scout

scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, canoeing, SCUBA, family, reading, skiing, wine, food & nutrition, travel.

Posted 07 October 2008 - 03:11 PM

Hi KEL9611,

It just stinks that money can be such a factor in our efforts to conceive.  I am sorry to hear that this is weighing so heavily on you right now, but it is a common concern for so many women going through IVF treatments.  At least you have the $10k fertility benefit that you can use - that should help ease the financial pain a little.

You know, IVF treatments can be stressful - all the worry about whether it will work or not & so on.  Is it possible for you & your DH to sit down together & talk this out?  Although money is a concern for everyone going through this experience, you will need to focus all of your strength on the IVF process itself, as well as your mental/physical health.  Even for only a few weeks, I would recommend trying to put aside your worries about finances (if at all possible).  The possible end result -- a child to welcome into your family -- will be worth every penny.

I'm not sure this helps & I'm sorry I don't have the positive IVF story you are looking for, but please remember that EM/POF & the paths taken to conceive a child is diferent for for everyone.  Just because it did not work for someone else, doesn't mean it won't work for you.  

Scout
Symptoms @ age 34 when I went off BCPs.
Married Jan 2007.  Dx EM/POF in April 2007 while TTC.
DE/IVF July 1/08 - now Mom to 2 yr old.

#3 Leah1

Leah1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 01:10 PM

I wish you the best of luck.  There are many ladies in your situation at this forum:

[url="http://www.network54.com/Forum/209394/"][url]http://www.network54.com/Forum/209394/[/url][/url]

I know a few women who visit this site are also on the high FSH board site.  Both boards are a wealth of information.  If you are still having regular periods and still ovulating, your chances of conceiving are very good.  

Best of luck to you!

Leah

Edited by Leah1, 09 October 2008 - 01:11 PM.

#4 Vicky

Vicky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
  • Interests:DIY

Posted 14 October 2008 - 09:15 AM

Your FSH is not too bad (some of us have had them in the hundreds).  I would definately be trying nsturally while you work out your next step.

I would also ask myself the question is th $10k best spent now or possibly later on donor eggs.  Just a thought but you wont get that money again so use it wisely.

Can you do something to reduce the stress? Yoga, accupuncture, swimming?  If you can reduce the stress it increases your chances of concieving.

Vicky
* PG again due in December
* Two gorgeous little boys,
   1st one DE (2nd attempt in Spain) and 2nd spontanious ovultion!
* Two lovely furbabies and one amazing DH!!
* Dx Christmas '03