6 replies to this topic

#1 Colie

Colie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 02:16 AM

Hi there

Wondering when I place on my stomach; I swear I get less of an absorbancy than when I place it on my hip or closer to my buttock?

is this safe?  Does anyone know?

Thanks!

Colie
33  finally got the "early dx"  - although I had a MAJOR hint myself since I know my body!!!  My Current Cocktail of meds:  Vivel dot 1 milligram   prometrium 100 mg for 12 days - vaginally;  Testostrone Capsule 1 milligram compounded

#2 jodyallen

jodyallen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:started missing periods at age 35<br>age 41 stopped having periods to current and went for blood test at age 41. <br>fsh level 70 and estrogen level 26<br>currently as of April 29, 2008 taking .025 vivelle dot<br>prometrium 100mg 10 days every 3 months

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:57 PM

Hi Colie,

I was told by my Dr. to place the patch on my stomach.  I have to alternate it every time I change it.  I have had no problem with my Viville Dot.  I love it.  I just hope I was told the right info.  

Jody

Viville Dot .05/Prometrium 100 10 days every three months

#3 Mchelle

Mchelle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Interests:photography, outdoors (fishing, camping, 4-wheeling, etc), writing, movies, crafty things and hanging out with my husband.

Mom to 2 beautiful twin girls born via DE IVF in December 2010.

Posted 23 October 2008 - 01:54 PM

Colie:
I have been told different places to put it.  I initially did it on the lower stomach mostly and didn't mind it.  But now I have been placing it my upper butt (basically the hip bone area).  I think I get better absorption here too.  I also seem to not have problems with it peeling off so easily or bunching up...plus now I don't have to look at a stupid patch every morning I take a shower.  I don't think it matters and the fatty areas seem to absorb better :huh:  Good luck
* diagnosed with POF/POI: Nov 2007
* mom to twin girls born via DE IVF in December 2010 (first try...thank goodness)
* hypothyroid due to Graves (hyperthyroid) treated in 2005 with RAI
* taking BCPs (LoSeasonique) for HRT
* went to NIH study in July 08--no known cause

#4 Cornfused

Cornfused

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 05:56 PM

Hi there,

Upper buttocks, hip and stomach areas below the belly button are perfectly okay areas in which to place your patch.  The instructions with climara state to place it on the upper butt or lower back area.  Just experiment with different areas to see which area helps you feel better.  Mine seems to be the upper buttocks area away from my hip area these days.  Sometimes it is hard to reach back there, but it doesn't crinkle as much.
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Age 47
Probably POF since late 30's at least, but was on bcps for years so who knows!
Osteopenia
Currently on Climara .075 and Mirena for progesterone
Adopted a newborn in January, 2007!!
</span>

#5 Red1964

Red1964

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 12:35 AM

I wonder why the Vivelle only says to put it on your abdomen....because even in the prescribing info, on the graph they have that shows the absorption rates, on the .1, they even show what the average absorption is below the waist on the abdomen and then also, separately, on the buttocks.  

I wonder if I would get better absorption there, too....although I don't seem to have trouble with it sticking in the front, it obviously does get crinkled every time I bend or sit.  

Has anyone checked with the makers of Vivelle to see why they don't indicate the buttocks as an option?
Age 44
Determined to be post-menopausal at 43 after Mirena removal
Vivelle Dot .1, Prometrium 200 mg 10 days/month

#6 Cornfused

Cornfused

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 12:36 AM

It seems like I looked into that a while back when I was using vivelle dot and of course, I can't remember exactly what I found out.  I am pretty  sure that the stomach is where most of the testing has been done with that particular patch so that is most likely why they instruct to that area.  It is okay to use it on your buttocks.  My sister has been using it on her upper buttocks and hips for a few years now.  Lots of women use it there.  You could call the makers, they are usually very helpful with information.  I would also just check with your doctor or better yet, a pharmacist could be very helpful with that question.   :huh:  Let us know what you find out.  

Corn

Edited by Cornfused, 26 October 2008 - 12:39 AM.

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Age 47
Probably POF since late 30's at least, but was on bcps for years so who knows!
Osteopenia
Currently on Climara .075 and Mirena for progesterone
Adopted a newborn in January, 2007!!
</span>

#7 Red1964

Red1964

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 12:35 AM

Well the manufacturer was no help at all!! The lady said "I'm not a medical professional so I'm not qualified to say" and then proceeded to read (literally) from the prescribing pamphlet.  Not impressed.  I had already read that thing backwards and forward!  So...called my Dr's office and spoke to the nurse.  She said I could put it anywhere except my breasts....even on my shoulder, which surprised me.  I think I will try it on my hip area and see how it goes.  The crinkling when it is on my abdomen makes me feel like I am just not absorbing all of it.  While I am not having any symptoms like hot flashes, I wasn't on the .05 dose, either, so I can't judge by that, it seems!

I'm not due to go back to see my Dr again until my annual in Feb, pending an all-clear on my breast ultrasound towards the end of November so it will likely be a while before my E2 level gets tested again.

Take care!!
Age 44
Determined to be post-menopausal at 43 after Mirena removal
Vivelle Dot .1, Prometrium 200 mg 10 days/month