2 replies to this topic

#1 Colie

Colie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:00 PM

Hi there,

I know, I know - we are all different. Here is the deal - I just hate how everything is so subjective and different.

I was with one doctor for an entire year and I am pretty sure that she was giving me TOO much estrogen; She said she wanted my estrogen levels between 200 - 300.  I question wasn't this too high and she said "for god sakes if you were on premarin your levels would be higher" how would I know, I thought to myself???

Anyway; I found yet another doctor; she flipped her lid on the fact that I was on this regime for almost 1 year and in the early stages of POF; like I could of been making my own estrogen too - She said that she would like my estrogen levels closer to 100

It's just frustrating; now I have been freaking out about cancer and hoping to god that being on the high side of the estrogen levels for 1 year will not turn into any sort of cancer (breast, endo)

I guess I am just FRUSTRATED on who the hek to believe!!!!

Does anyone else feel this too?  

Just venting;
Colie
33  finally got the "early dx"  - although I had a MAJOR hint myself since I know my body!!!  My Current Cocktail of meds:  Vivel dot 1 milligram   prometrium 100 mg for 12 days - vaginally;  Testostrone Capsule 1 milligram compounded

#2 laurainvt

laurainvt

• Moderators
  • 935 posts
  • Interests:dance, pilates, reading

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:59 PM

Colie,
A non-POF woman would regularly have estrogen levels of 200-300 during the ovulatory part of her cycle. While they wouldn't stay consistently high (which I think is what you're worried about), the fact that you had a year in which your doctor tried to keep your e2 high most likely does not warrant any worry. If I remember correctly, you've had a lot of trouble with symptom control, and this might have been part of the issue. Was your doctor trying to give you elevated estrogen to knock out your symptoms of em? Plenty of women need higher e2 levels than the suggested 100. I for one, need more or I bleed.

Anyway, back to the cancer risk, while no one can tell you definitively that your year of high e2 levels isn't going to raise your risk by a minuscule amount, I think you can probably let go of this worry. It's in the past. You do the best that you can with the symptoms and information you have in front of you at the time and adjust as necessary.

I'm assuming that you were also taking progesterone during this time. Unopposed estrogen is a bigger thing to worry about, and if you were not on progesterone or getting periods on your own  you might want to ask about a pelvic ultrasound to check the thickness of your lining or an biopsy of your endometrium. Some women get these once every year or two depending on their circumstances. For instance, since I use Prometrium vaginally 4 times a year instead of more often and orally (where there are more published studies), I have an ultrasound every year or so as part of my visit to just double check that the lining looks good. It has always been fine, but my RE would rather be cautious, and I appreciate his diligence.

Laura
Vivelle dot .1 + femring .05
Prometrium  200 4x year
POF diagnosed at 23 but symptoms since my teens, now 30
Hypothyroid
Osteopenia

#3 Colie

Colie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:33 PM

Hi Laura
I REALLY appreciate your response; honestly.  I am freaking out; cancer runs in my immediate family but I was so miserable with pendelum swinging hormonal levels (I was fully in peri-meno -that hit me over the flippin head out of the blue - once off the pill) and I had extremely bad depression; like REALLY bad.  There was not an option but to go on hrt and I am a happier person.

Back to the cancer thing and this "expert" doctor; yes I am freaking out.  
And you are right; I can not; what's done is done.

I do take 100mg of prometrium vaginally every month.  I am glad that I switched doctors and hoping for a better year this year.  

And again - you are right about the symptoms; even with all that estrogen - I still struggled with sad moods, skin crawling sensations across my face, butt & vagina, and massive low energy levels (always tired) and a crazy eye twitch that never quit!   I think I found the answer -  needed to add Testostrone and it has helped SIGNIFICANTLY with all of these symptoms.  I even have decreased my estrogen patch considerably and still feel great!!!  The libido is another issue; but I am just happy that it has been able to let me decrease my estrogen patch.

I guess it's just so frustrating on who to believe; it just seems like it all over the place - the doctors and when you read blogs and what not.

I appreciate your input about the ovulatory part of non-pof woman.

I was just curious as to what other woman have heard from their doctors about estrogen levels.

thankyou!

Colie
33  finally got the "early dx"  - although I had a MAJOR hint myself since I know my body!!!  My Current Cocktail of meds:  Vivel dot 1 milligram   prometrium 100 mg for 12 days - vaginally;  Testostrone Capsule 1 milligram compounded