• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#1 HoneyBear23

HoneyBear23

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 06 June 2002 - 06:10 AM

Hello everyone! I just wanted to say "thanks" to the wonderful ladies who let us come into your forum!

Soooooooo.........Roll call now you young POF'ers, how old are you now and when were you dx'ed? Okay, I'll start!

My name is Jessica, I am 24 now as of May 11th, and was dx'ed at 22 in Oct '00. All testing(genetic, thyroid, etc) came back normal as far as a cause to my POF. So we don't know why this started since I was very regular for 9 yrs, and no probs! I'm on HRT and not having any meno symptoms since.  [url]http://www.earlymenopause.com/ubb/smile.gif[/url] How about you ladies?

Jessica

------------------
"The way to love ANYTHING is to realize it may be LOST".

24 yrs old~Wonderful Boyfriend~Reed 33yrs old~ DX w/POF in Oct of 2000 @ 22 yrs old. On HRT since(Estrace 1mg/Prometrium 200mg days 1-12)....even before my mom!

#2 wombat88

wombat88

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 06 June 2002 - 08:44 AM

Welcome, Jessica! For you younger POFers, you might want to read the primary POFer stories earlier in this thread. We all found out at too tender of an age how very different we were. We do understand how difficult it can be to struggle with this issue in your teens and twenties, only too well! I found out "officially" at age 20, but suspected that something was wrong very early in my teens, particularly when my little sister got breasts and period and I didn't have any hint of something happening yet.  [url]http://www.earlymenopause.com/ubb/frown.gif[/url]

We'd love to get to know the rest of you.

------------------
Wendy
Primary POFer, now 42
Current HRT: 0.9mg Cenestin continuous, 100mg. Prometrium taken vaginally every three days. Zoloft 150 mg. daily, plus thyroid meds.

#3 stellaluny

stellaluny

• Moderators
  • 4,579 posts

Posted 06 June 2002 - 03:09 PM

Hey ya'll!  This is so great!  Here is all my  V.I. (vital information).  Okay, yes, I know I'm cheesy.  Everything went as normal (got a period at 13) up until age 17.  My periods were regular all three to four years, and then presto-chango... gone!  All periods were normal and regular until May of 1993 when the monthly menses didn't show up... and it hasn't since!  As with Jessica, all my testing came back normal... so my POF is a mystery.  I am now 25, 26 on July 20th, and am on the Alora patch (.1 mg) and prometrium the first 12 days of the month.  I had been on BCPs up until February, and am enjoying this new HRT.  I love it.... love love it, love it, love it... as the SNL skit goes!  

Oh, and I married my high school sweetheart, after we both graduated from college.  I told him about the POF when I was diagnosed, and he has always been great about it...  Wanting me, more than my eggs!

Thanks to you primaries for letting us in your space!  Ya'll are great!

WHo else is out there?  Tell us your story!

Stella

[This message has been edited by stellaluny (edited 06-09-2002).]

#4 jm1977

jm1977

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, surfing the Internet, watching tv and movies

Posted 08 June 2002 - 08:55 PM

Hello all!

My name is Jennifer.  I was dx this past November at age 24.  I'm 25 now.  I got my first period at 14, but was irregular most of the time - get it one month, not the next, get it for a few months, skip a month, etc, etc, etc.  Finally, my last period was in March 2001 - I didn't know this at the time!  I figured I had better go see my doc in October when I still hadn't gotten it.  Lo an behold, my FSH came back a 90.9 and my doctor was really surprised, because it wasn't what we had expected.  I had every test done known to mankind - LOL, and everything is normal, so who knows what went wrong?  I think that's the hardest part for me.  If there wasn't something wrong that showed up in one of the tests, it would have made it easier for me, I think.  I really don't think it has sunk in much as I don't have children and I was not planning on having them for at least several more years.  I think once the time comes where I would like to have children, it will be a lot more difficult.  Two of my cousins have each had a baby since my diagnosis and each time I was a sobbing mess <sigh>.  I'm glad to meet others my age who understand!  [url]http://www.earlymenopause.com/ubb/smile.gif  I[/url] look forward to chatting with all of you!

Jennifer

------------------
Diagnosed November 6, 2001 - age 24.  Now 25.  FSH of 90.9.  Currently taking Orthotri-Cyclen & Allegra for these sudden allergies I've developed!

#5 josieR

josieR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:sports

Posted 09 June 2002 - 07:21 AM

AS A TEENAGER (about 14-15 yrs old), I BECAME WORRIED BECAUSE I HADN'T STARTED MY PERIODS LIKE ALL THE OTHER GIRLS IN MY CLASS. I DIDN'T WANT TO BE THE LAST ON. I WAS SENT TO HAVE SOME TESTS AT HOSPITAL. I HAD ALL KINDS. THYROID-OK, PITUATARY GLAND, BONE AGE SCAN (DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT DID) ULTRASOUND AND FINALLY A LAPAROSCOPY. THAT CONFIRMED THAT I HAD NO OVARIES WHATSOEVER, HENCE NO PERIODS. AFTER TESTS THEY REALISED IT WAS BECAUSE OF A CHROMOSOME DEFECT. IN THE DR'S WORDS (WHICH UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES DID HE WANT ME FINDING OUT) I WAS 'GENETICALLY' MALE. AHHHH. I WAS PUT ON HRT STRAIGHT AWAY. I STARTED ALL THIS AT ABOUT 15. I'VE COME OFF HRT NOW AND things seem to be ok. Sorry most of this in 'shouting' terms but instead of writing this all again I copied off my last post.There's my little story.I still don't understand anything about it.Take care love jo x

------------------
Early meno at 15 due to chromosome defect.Now 23YRS old.Was on Oestrogel and Dufaston 12 days per month.Have took decision to come off hrt and go without

#6 stellaluny

stellaluny

• Moderators
  • 4,579 posts

Posted 09 June 2002 - 10:50 PM

Oh Josie!  I want to go kick that doctor for what he said to you!  I can think of thousands of ways he could have presented those test results to you, instead of, "gentically you are a male."  I mean REALLY!  Did he think that would be great for your mental health?  In my opinion, he should have said something like, "We see some problems with your chromosomes that resulted in the female reproductive oragans not forming."  To say genetically you are a male is unacceptable, and to me, false!  To quote a movie... "Boys have a penis, girls have a vagina."  Obviously, your body knew what it was to become, a woman, it just left out the parts needed to reproduce!  

IT makes me furious that you were treated in such a horrible manner!  Hopefully, you have a new doctor who won't deliver statements like that!  

Sorry to get my dander up!  Doctors sometimes forget they treat PEOPLE, not another species!  And, I know how special and strong all the women on this board are... we should be treated accordingly.

Stella

#7 mlw

mlw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Interests:epilepsy/early menopause

Posted 10 June 2002 - 10:25 PM

Hello

I'm Marylyn and was diagnosed at 19 now 22 although I feel like I'm 50 sometimes.My birthday is 3-28-80 I take femhrt for early menopause.and as some already may know I have epilepsy (seizures).This was a good idea. Anyway take care everyone.My seizures whip out my memory so I can't remember when I was diagnosed I'm sorry.

Marylyn

[This message has been edited by mlw (edited 06-10-2002).]

#8 STEFANEE

STEFANEE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:SCRAPBOOKING

Posted 11 June 2002 - 09:27 PM

Here goes....
I started liek any normal girl.  I was 11 yrs old when i started my periods and 14 when they stopped.  I mean for 3 yrs they were normal, clockwork, and never irregular.  Then BOOM.....they stopped as soon as they begun.  I went through 3 months of testing b/c the doc thought i had a brain tumor and many other things, but all came back fine except for the fsh levels and that sort of thing.  So, here i am, a 14 yr old girl being told YOU WILL NEVER HAVE CHILDREN.  I mean really, that's what little girls dream of right?!  Needless to say i was unhappy.  I do have an identical twin who has 2 kids and one on the way.  I am thankful for that b/c she will be my egg donor at the end of this year!!  So, there it is girls!

#9 Jaz88

Jaz88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 June 2002 - 07:33 PM

Hi everyone

My name is Jaz, I'm 26 years old. I was diagnosed POF in February 2002 after two horrible years of hot flushes and low moods. My periods started to disappear about this time too. Funnily enough before this all started I would have periods every 18 to 21 days and I remember joking about how, if I go on like this, I'll use up all my eggs before I'm 30. Not so funny now. They still haven't got to the reason for my POF and I am still in the early stages of HRT experiments. I don't have kids and an coming to terms with the idea that I am infertile.
Thanks for introducing this site
Jaz

#10 Jen E

Jen E

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 June 2002 - 04:31 AM

Hi!

I was diagnosed last year at age 26, but I think I had problems that were hidden for a long time.

I had a right oopherectomy when I was 17 because I had a large cystic tumor that basically crushed it. A few months after surgery, I started to have terrible hot flashes. The Dr. at the time told me it shouldn't be happening, since I had an ovary left, and suggested BCPs, which got rid of the symptoms. I stayed on them for nine years, during which time I think that was the only thing that kept my estrogen levels sane and me "normal." When I went off of them in 99, the hot flashes were right back, and for the next two years I had them off and on with sporadic bleeding. My OB/GYN tried to help me, but last year I decided to go to an RE, and that's when I felt I got the answers that finally made sense. I had one FSH reading of 41, which he said indicates POF. I had all the tests to determine why, and none of them came back abnormal, but I'm sure it has to be from scar tissue or trauma from the surgery.
I'm now on FemHRT after trying Premarin/Prometriukm for awhile and having too much bleeding.
I think this Web site's great; it's comforting to know that other people are experiencing/feeling the same thing.

Jen, age 27

#11 Jennywren

Jennywren

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Taking baby pictures :)<br><br>http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos<br><br><br>crossstitch<br>internet<br>getting face licked from our beagle<br>trying to keep the house clean &amp; building our new log home

Posted 22 June 2002 - 01:27 AM

another jen here! ... I'm 25, diagnosed May 2002 with no "reason" found, married to my high school sweetheart- no children (yet?)
still quite depressed,
jennywren

#12 ClaireyK

ClaireyK

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 June 2002 - 10:59 PM

Hi all,
I'm Claire & I'm 26.I was dx (by accident) when I was 23!I was at a recurrent miscarriage clinic in London,and after months of blood tests they told me I had POF.My FSH ranged from 15 to 32.My periods used to be every 2 weeks then became really irregular over the yrs.I had 6 miscarriages pre POF(ranging from 6 to 20 weeks)In Sept 2000 we had DE IVF which resulted in yet another miscarriage. I t has since been found i have Auto antibody probs (Antiphospholipid antibodies) which was causing the miscarriages. So feeling positive about the miscarriage reasons, we were going for DE IVF in June 2001, but a few days before the donor was due to have the eggs collected I was rushed to hospital with Meningitis & Septicaemia. After this my periods returned for 7 months-regular!! Blood tests showed i could be ovulating!Ha typical I have so many x-rays & meds that I've had to try put the fertility aspect out of my mind (easier said than done!) I'm currently waiting for some blood results as I beleive my FSH has shot up again & am waiting to see if they'll put me on HRT.
Oh yeah...I have an eye condition which is associated with POF. As soon as I'm better we'll be having another go at IVF or adopting....who knows??
Sorry this is so long!!
Claire

#13 Shanaboo1

Shanaboo1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:the gym and work

Posted 09 July 2002 - 01:35 AM

Hi!!  My name is Shana.  I am 22 dx 10/01 POF.  I still have a monthly cycle, and no meno symptoms.  Its just that darn FSH!  Found out after trying to get pg.  I am on premphase which I HATE!! Makes me puke, literally.  Having a slight difference of opinion with my doc.  I hope to chat more with you soon!

#14 Molly

Molly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:Puppetry, Theatre,

Posted 15 July 2002 - 12:51 AM

Hi - I'm Molly.  I was diagnosed at 19, POF began at 18.  I'm now 29, married to a WONDERFUL man, and starting an adoption from China.  
I'm on the Vivelle dot, which I love, and Provera (though I would like to switch to Prometrium soon).  
Dealing with premature menopause/POF has been a long, strange, and diffucult trip these past 10 years . . . and it's not over, by any means.  But, a decade after diagnosis, I am feeling healthy, very happily married, and starting a family.  So, life is good.

Molly

#15 Smiling27

Smiling27

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 July 2002 - 06:53 PM

Hi all

I have been reading the posts today and yesterday. It's nice to hear you're out there.

I read about the HRT study results in the news last week and decided to go off HRT.. at least this form of it. I may re-evaluate that decision.. but more importantly I decided to try to find out what the cause of my "POF" was. I was diagnosed ten years ago , and the doctors could tell me nothing about why. None since have been very interested.

I was diagnosed when I was 17 and in first year of university. At the time I was undergoing hot flashes and couldn't sleep and of course it all made sense when my FSH levels were measured. I had had 2 periods in my life at that point, several years apart.  

My doctor said I should take HRT. It was a form of the pill!! which I found hugely ironic, and could only laugh about. Even more funny was when the doctor told me I might be able to get pregnant anyway and so should use other forms of contraception in future. Hah. Even then I thought.. if I was pregnant.. and it was my only chance to EVER get pregnant.. why on earth would I want to use contraception?? Not that I wanted to forego university or anything else for that matter - but I would have been willing to postpone it for such a miraculous event.

Well, my FSH levels were tested again a few years ago and were again abnormally high. But I never liked the idea of taking a drug my whole lfe.. and went off HRT for a year. Later I went back on.. it always seemed to be related to whether I trusted the doctor who recommended it or not. None of them knew anything about POF!! But some were nicer than others.

Now I'm thinking maybe I should get all the tests done again and find a doctor who's really interested in this. I guess I'm also finally at the point where I want to have a family. So I can't ignore it anymore.

I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. If anyone has any suggestions about doctors or research here, please email me.

Thanks and all the best to you out there. Glad to know there are others to talk to.

take care

/emma

#16 Smiling27

Smiling27

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 July 2002 - 02:23 PM

>reconsidering re recent WHI HRT study..and it's implications

Thanks Rita for welcoming us newbies. yes I am reconsidering now especially since I am realising that our HRT is literally replacement, not extended exposure. Well now I have to go off for a few weeks to do new blood tests. Fair enough. I think I should get with some weight training though :-)

Went to a new doctor (an ob/gyn) the other day whom my mum wanted me to see. He prescribes natural HRT and thyroid hormones for her. Well, for all his progressive therapies and approach.. of course he wanted me off Marvelon ASAP.. he gave me only 15 minutes in his office and dismissed me without even asking basic examination questions. I asked him what did he know about POF and he acted like I was trying to revoke his license. Sorry, I had to know! Not *trying* to trample all over his precious ego... not that day anyway :-)

take care everyone.

/Emma

------------------
Dxed @ 18 (1992) as primary - had had 2 periods~put on Loestrin (bcp) for 2 yrs~went off~went on Marvelon (another bcp) for a few yrs~going off now to do blood tests again~Grew up in London, England~Living in Canada~Anyone in Toronto out there?

Favorite poem: One Art by Elizabeth Bishop. Read it here:
[url="http://www.poets.org/poems/poems.cfm?prmID=972"][url]http://www.poets.org/poems/poems.cfm?prmID=972[/url][/url]

#17 fruity

fruity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:life itself!?

Posted 24 July 2002 - 04:16 AM

Hi Jess, my name is Michelle i am 34 yrs old. I was 19 when dxd with p.m. I have been on several types of medication.Currently i am taking Trisequens Forte.As you might (or not) have guessed i am from England,and have recently found this web site (which is brill by the way!)So i would like to take this opportunity to say a great big "HELLO" to you all. Thank the lord i am not a freak!I have felt so alone,because in England there does not seem to be any help or other young women like myself.(Although there must be)Anyway hope to hear from you soon love FRUITY

#18 vancouverC

vancouverC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:crafting, music, playing piano

Posted 26 July 2002 - 06:32 AM

Hi everyone,

It's so great to find that there are other people who have gone through what I have. I was diagnosed at age 15 with pof. Didn't go through puberty at all up until then. No known cause for pof. Was given growth hormones so i could grow before they put me on hrt.  Was on premarin, then conjugated estrogens. And was on provera, then prometrium. Am taking miacalcin nasal spray for prevention of osteoperosis. My bone density scans have shown improvement over the years, and I believe i will be able to come off the meds for osteo in a few years.

The most amazing thing happened this feb. I am now 31 years old. I had my first period (aside from those induced by hrt) spontaneously. I was on a cycle of hrt where i didn't have flow as my dr and i didn't see the need for it. After a few years of not having one, it seems that my ovaries decided to function and bring on a period. My fsh levels were normal for the first time. They were always in the 40's before.

I have an apptmt with a fertility dr referred by my endocrinologist this coming Monday july 29th. I'm so excited. But am scared too. I have a feeling that maybe my ovaries are still not going to cooperate. But I am now charting with fertility friend to see if i am indeed ovulating. My endocrinologist said she thought I might be going through a sort of "puberty" now, and we may have a window of opportunity to get pregnant. I'm really hoping so!

Am now on estradot patch (1/4 of 100 patch changed every 3 days) prometrium cd14 to 27 (but am waiting to see if i ovulate before beginning it as it messes up my charting of temperatures), and am also continuing with the osteo meds.

So very glad to meet you all and hope to chat more with you soon.

Cindy

#19 krisC

krisC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Interests:My Kids- Im finally back in school

Posted 27 July 2002 - 02:02 PM

Hi ladies i am 22 next month. i have been having problems since I was 14 after three years of  clockwork from the start periods.  I am extremely blessed to have two amazing kids. Oddly enough I was taking bcp when I got pg w/ my first.

I have had million doctors give me a million dx's. the best one is an aotoimmune reaction to my fsh receptors, so they dont work so i keep Producing fsh.

everyone says estrogen in  'normal;' range but progesterone is non existent.

currently waiting on dh geting a good job with insurance to figure out whats really going on (insurance at my employer would be as much as my rent ahhh)

kris

#20 frazzieam

frazzieam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 06:48 PM

My name is Amy, and I turned 21 in June.  I was diagnosed when I was 19.  Before that, my gp thought I had ovarian cysts.  I have been on orthotricylen, mircette, prometrium, and several estrogen patches.  On Sunday I am going to start Ortho Prefest.  I get headaches all the time and can't seem to tolerate progestin.  On Tuesday, my RE tried to insert the Mirena progesterone IUD but had to stop because I was in too much pain.  You see, she said it was because I had a "virginal orifice."  I was embarrassed.  It was very traumatic.  I don't know anyone personally my age who has problems like this--I feel very isolated and alone.  This site and the pofsupport site make me feel so much better.  That's all . . . I guess.