16 replies to this topic

#1 BonnieJ

BonnieJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Reading, renovating our house

Posted 22 November 2005 - 05:35 PM

I was wondering if anyone out there using "holistic/natural" methods to deal with their symptoms knows if Replens is ok to use.
DX POF Oct 2005, cause as yet unknown, at 34 years old (now 37) FSH 81.

Erratic cycle in high school, put on BCPs in Grade 12 after missing 8 periods in a row.  Came off BCPs Aug '05 because of headaches the week of my period.  Symptoms started immediately.  Did I start in HS, or only recently?  BCPs were masking symptoms, so I guess I'll never know.  

On BCPs (Marvelon) continuous January-May '06.  Came off them again because of high blood pressure.  Now on Estrogel, four pumps per day (June '06), and Mirena (July '06).  

On a waiting list to get into an Endo.  Currently 51st on the list, and considered "semi-urgent"...

Childless by choice, one cat (with hyperthyroid), two dogs, and a husband who is handling all of this very well

You live the life you choose

#2 ronnie32

ronnie32

• Moderators
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 12:00 PM

Hi

I'm not familiar with Replens myself.  

Anyway, I did a quick spot of research and came up with the results of a study, link copied below, which suggest that it is a useful topical product that can help relieve symptoms associated with vaginal atrophy and dryness.  It comes as both a moisturiser and as a lube.

http://jcp.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/55/6/446

However, I suspect that this in itself is unlikely to be sufficient to protect your bones or your heart, or to relieve other menopausal symptoms like hot flashes.

Hope this helps

Ronnie
Diagnosed with POF just before turning 32.  Have used acupuncture and TCM.  I am taking various supplements including multi vitamin, calcium, zinc, flaxseed oil etc.  Following osteopenia diagnosis, started HRT on 10 March 05 - reluctantly.  I have a fab g/f & we have a lovely dog (lurcher) & a mischievous cat (tabby).  We have one son who keeps us on our toes.

#3 BonnieJ

BonnieJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 12:22 PM

Hi Ronnie,

I know there are no estrogen benefits, but I have recently started to use the product and it is FABULOUS (I haven't gotten in  to the gyn yet to discuss HRT options, and was desperate to do something about the dryness).  But I have a friend who's also early menopausal, but has chosen to go the natural route rather than the HRT.  She was very interested in trying it, but wasn't sure if it would fit into a holistic regime.

Erratic cycle in high school, put on BCPs in Grade 12 after missing 8 periods in a row.  Came off BCPs Aug '05 because of headaches the week of my period.  Symptoms started immediately.  Did I start in HS, or only recently?  BCPs were masking symptoms, so I guess I'll never know.  

On BCPs (Marvelon) continuous January-May '06.  Came off them again because of high blood pressure.  Now on Estrogel, four pumps per day (June '06), and Mirena (July '06).  

On a waiting list to get into an Endo.  Currently 51st on the list, and considered "semi-urgent"...

Childless by choice, one cat (with hyperthyroid), two dogs, and a husband who is handling all of this very well

#4 ronnie32

ronnie32

• Moderators
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 12:03 PM

Hi Bonnie

I am not aware of any reason why Replens wouldn't be a useful addition to your friend's regime, as part of a wider approach (whether holistic or otherwise) to managing EM.

All the best

Ronnie
Diagnosed with POF just before turning 32.  Have used acupuncture and TCM.  I am taking various supplements including multi vitamin, calcium, zinc, flaxseed oil etc.  Following osteopenia diagnosis, started HRT on 10 March 05 - reluctantly.  I have a fab g/f & we have a lovely dog (lurcher) & a mischievous cat (tabby).  We have one son who keeps us on our toes.

#5 CindyL

CindyL

• Admin
  • 6,368 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 03:54 AM

Bonnie,

I guess that it depends on how your friend is defining "holistic" as far as whether Replens will fit the bill.

It is a pretty neat product.  It is a "bioadhesive gel" that is designed to kind of "stick and stay up there".  As you know, it doens't have hormones in it, only a lubricant.  You use it twice/week.  (FYI, it is this same formulation, with progesterone added that is used in Crinone and Prochieve.)  It is kind of expensive but yes, it works great with very little mess.

I hope that this works well for her!

Cindy

Now 49 + 2.   Diagnosed at 38, symptoms started at about 35.
Most likely caused by chemo from 20 years ago.  (Was in temporary POF for about 18 months during and after chemo.)
HRT: Vivelle dot 0.1mg/day , compounded progesterone 4% and Estring.  Married for 14 years, no human children, One Doggy-child, "Lucy"

#6 BonnieJ

BonnieJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 12:31 PM

Hi Cindy,

It seems to have similar ingredients to things like KY, Vagisil, and Astroglide (all of which I tried before hitting on Replens).  She mentioned that she uses KY, so I didn't think there would be a problem with it.  The only difference is it's applied "in" instead of "on".  Personally, it's been a God-send.  I felt "normal" again after the first application!

#7 CindyL

CindyL

• Admin
  • 6,368 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 05:51 AM

Bonnie,

YAY that you've found relief with the Replens!  Are you using it twice/week?  The one different ingredient is the gel that keeps it "sticking up there" and yup, you are so right, you put it "in" rather than "on"... (such a difference!)  If you want to get into the details of the gel technology (which, lolol... can be kinda boring!) you can check the manufacturer's site.  

As with many going through EM/POF, one of my first symptoms was vaginal dryness.  You go to the doctor and she gives you a prescription for estrogen cream.  Uh..... it helps BUT, well, not to be gross but "what goes in must come out".  Kinda messy.

It is great that we have many more options these days!  (Another "EEEK" is that K-Y jelly and other lubricants used to contain petroleum.  Great lubricant....for our car engines!!!  but quite drying to our female tissues.)

Take care Bonnie -- you're a good friend!

Cindy

Most likely caused by chemo from 20 years ago.  (Was in temporary POF for about 18 months during and after chemo.)
HRT: Vivelle dot 0.1mg/day , compounded progesterone 4% and Estring.  Married for 14 years, no human children, One Doggy-child, "Lucy"

#8 BonnieJ

BonnieJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 12:46 PM

Hi Cindy,

Yes, the stuff is fabulous!  I use it every third day, so a little more than twice/week.  It claims it will help my body start to produce some of its own lubricant, but for now, I'll stick with the three days.  The real miracle is that my libido seemed to magically reappear once I started using it!  I don't know if I'll still need it if/when I start HRT, but for now, it's my favourite product on the planet!

#9 CindyL

CindyL

• Admin
  • 6,368 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 07:36 AM

Bonnie,

That is just wonderful!!!  

From personal experience, not having any/enough lubrication is a HUGE libido-killer.  When you find something (be it Replens or HRT) that helps with that ONE thing, it takes so much worry away.  I do believe that for women, libido is "between our ears".  

Again, I'm so very glad that you've found something that is working for you!  Wow, I've not heard of a claim to restore one's natural lubrication (that sound kind of iffy to me, given that there can be so many pnysical things going on  to change your body.)   What the heck though, it works -- stay with it!!  If and when you do decide to go the HRT route then you can certainly figure out if you still need some of the Replens.   (One little sidenote here... If you do go on HRT, you can see if you can use Prochieve as your progesterone.  It is Replens PLUS progesterone so will give you the same bio-adhesive gel (lubricant) in addition to progesterone.

(I SO wanted to use Crinone/Prochieve for my progesterone. Unfortuantely the product was unavailable for a year or so so I never got to use it.  I DID use Replens for a while though.  I do agree in that it is great stuff!!)

Thank god for modern medicine, eh?

"To Libido"!!!
Cindy

#10 BonnieJ

BonnieJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 12:15 PM

Hi Cindy,

It doesn't say it "restores" it, exactly...  I can't remember the exact claim, but something like it helps you to produce "some" of your own.  But you're right! Who the heck cares!  I'm just so happy to be done with that dry, scratchy, always on my mind, being aware of my vagina, feeling!  

Thanks for the tip on the Procheive.  I'll make a note for when I finally get in to see the gyn to discuss my options.  I have an ultrasound booked for Friday and a bone density scan booked for Monday, so once those are done, I should be getting my appointment with the gyn.  In the meantime, every three days, like clockwork...

Bonnie

#11 CindyL

CindyL

• Admin
  • 6,368 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 07:19 AM

Bonnie,

I hope that your ultrasound was ok.  Did you get any lining results from the technician?  (They really aren't supposed to tell you anything until the doctor reviews it.)  I recently had one (all ok) and did ask for a copy of the ultrasound results.

I forgot to ask you -- about how much does the Replens cost per month?  I have a friend who is starting to go through "normal age perimenopause."  Her first symptom is ..... you guessed it -- vaginal dryness (which leads to NOT wanting to have sex...

I just don't remember how much it costs!  I also can't remember if a box was a month's supply  -- ??

Thank you for your expertise!

Cindy

#12 BonnieJ

BonnieJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 01:00 PM

Hi Cindy,

Ultrasound was a WEE bit uncomfortable, as I was a good girl and drank the full 4 glasses of water, 2 hours beforehand.  I was never so glad to pee in all my life!  Technician was tight lipped.  I tried to weedle some info out of him, but it was a no go.  However, he was very interested to learn about my premature menopause, as his wife went through it at 38 with all the usual "you're too young" crap.  He said he couldn't wait to go home and tell her about me.  Go figure.  I'm told my results won't be ready for 2 weeks.  I have a bone density scan today, so when both results are ready, I'm going to go back to see the doc and hopefully finally get my referal to a gyn.

As far as the Replens goes, seems to me a box of 8 costs about $20 (CAD), and is good for 24 days if you use it every 3 days.  It's quite a bit more than a tube/bottle of lubricant, but again, the key difference is that it goes in rather than on.  It also comes in a box of 3 ($8 CAD), which is what I bought the first time, just to try it out.

#13 ronnie32

ronnie32

• Moderators
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 03:50 PM

Hi Bonnie

I'm glad the US went well - how curious that your Technician's wife also went through this at 38!

Good luck with the bone scan. Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Ronnie

#14 BonnieJ

BonnieJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 04:08 PM

Hi Ronnie,

The BD scan went fine.  Very quick and easy.  Had to remove my underwire bra, though...   :(   Tech said results will be ready in a week.  US results will be ready in two weeks, which co-incides with when I'm taking some time off before Christmas, so I'll go then to see the doc about the results.  The doc who's following up with me is an ER doc, so I can't make an appointment, just go to ER and get in when I get in.  My family doc is about an hour away, and he refused to even consider I might be POF/EM when this all started, so I'm going to stick with the ER doc til I get in to see the gyn.  She's been great.  They don't generally see patients on an on-going basis, but given my doc's attitude, she said she see me through to the gyn.  I have my name on a waiting list for a family doctor here, but there's no knowing how long it will take to get in.  It's a double edged sword here in Canada.  On the one hand I get all this medical care for free - bone scan, ultrasound, whatever - but on the other hand, I'm not free to go see any doctor I want, and if I don't like one doctor, I can't just go see another one.  So what's two more weeks, right?  

Cindy and Ronnie:  did either of you see my other post in general discussion about bleeding (in response to "return of period?")?  I'm curious what you think...

#15 Paola.E

Paola.E

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:Yoga <br>painting<br>decorative arts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 01:57 PM

Hello girls,
I've put a message about  vaginal dryness on the general board.
I hope it can be useful. I've tried this product, phyto soya vaginal gel and it is good.
My recipe against vaginal dryness at moment is
Phyto soya once every three days
1 vitaminE capsule on the other days (nights).

Paola E.
Paola
Aged 46
One husband, one daughter aged 7, two cats, two goldfish.
Teacher.
Histerectomy and oophorectomy at the age of 39
Ovarian Cancer stage 1.
Chemotherapy.
Now OK
Not allowed  HRT.
Eating soy, taking vitamin supplements, aloe vera, and Zoloft.
No hot flushes, but some pounds more.

#16 ronnie32

ronnie32

• Moderators
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 02:51 PM

Paola

Thanks for the tips re: lubrication - how interesting that it's soya based. I must keep my eye out for it.  How much Vit E do you use?  

Bonnie

Apologies for not coming back more quickly on your comment copied below:

Cindy and Ronnie: did either of you see my other post in general discussion about bleeding (in response to "return of period?")? I'm curious what you think...

I'm afraid it's true.  Even when you're in EM/POF you still might spontaneously ovulate (which would lead to a period) or have a period without ovulation (which is probably the more likely).  This can mean that we might just get caught short - it's safest to have a couple of tampons or pads on hand (at work, home and in handbag).

Now that I am on a cyclical HRT I do usually have a light bleed once a month, so I still have to add the tampons to my shopping list. It's like clockwork though and I've yet to be caught out whilst on it.  I've not had the breakthrough bleeding that some people have, which for me is lucky.

The Canadian national health service sounds similar to that in the UK.  For all its flaws (a week doesn't go by without the NHS making a headline here) I think the NHS is fabulous and that we're very lucky to have it. Sure, there is room for improvement but there is much more right with it than there is wrong with it.  Gosh, I could get political here!

Cheers

Ronnie

#17 Paola.E

Paola.E

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:Yoga <br>painting<br>decorative arts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 06:23 PM

My dose of vitE is one capsule containing 400g of vitamine, every night.

Another interestting thing is this. I've noticed difference when using vitE made from soy and vitE made from wheat germ. Soy is better.

The one I'm using now is "Long Life" Vit E 400.

Good Luck

Paola.E
Paola
Aged 46
One husband, one daughter aged 7, two cats, two goldfish.
Teacher.
Histerectomy and oophorectomy at the age of 39
Ovarian Cancer stage 1.
Chemotherapy.
Now OK
Not allowed  HRT.
Eating soy, taking vitamin supplements, aloe vera, and Zoloft.
No hot flushes, but some pounds more.