#1 Victoria352

Victoria352

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:Mother of a most wonderful teenage POF'er X 2 years

Posted 03 December 2005 - 01:26 AM

I'm confused again!

Why is it that little girls do not get hot flashes if they are due to a lack of hormones?  :D  

Are hot flashes a mystery? :wacko:

Edited by Victoria352, 22 December 2005 - 03:24 PM.

Victoria
Mother of a most wonderful teenage POFer X 2 years

#2 Ritalein

Ritalein

• Moderators
  • 5,137 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 02:43 AM

Hi Victoria!

Yes, the mystery of the suddenly arriving hot flash!! Although hot flashes are triggered by the hypothalamus in the brain (which controls body temperature amongst other things), there does seem to be a link with a downward change or imbalance of reproductive hormones as well. Looks like Tanya's sudden stop has triggered this. Whilst I take my estrogen dose daily, I don't have any hot flashes. Every three months now I add a progestin to my cycle for 14 days as well, and although my estrogen dose is still the same, for some reason I start 'flashing' when on the combo. I figure the equilibrium has again been altered and my body is letting me know! Weird!

I guess those in pre-puberty and then the other end of the spectrum, well post-menopausal, would be relieved from this as reproductive hormones are no longer called into play in the body....and just a low, baseline level exists. (That's how I think it works!)

Poor Tanya! At least it's winter where you are now. Wish her the best for me with her appointment with Dr Heard! Good luck to you both.  :wacko:
Rita

-Primary amenorrhea due to chromosomal defect ..diagnosed@ tender age of 16
-On bcps/hrt for 30+ years!!! (Lions, and tigers, and bears! Oh, my!)....and still doing fine!
-Current HRT is 2mg oral estradiol daily and then Duphaston for 12 days every 3 months, for a quarterly bleed.  
-Happily (most of the time!) married to the same great guy for countless years (Yikes!!)...but no family, even though we've tried DE/IVF 4 times!
-Am living a great, healthy, fulfilling life despite my diagnosis...with great companions along the way!....(Tinman! Scarecrow! Where are you?)

"Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore!" ...Dorothy, Wizard of Oz

#3 stellaluny

stellaluny

• Moderators
  • 4,579 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 04:34 PM

Rita's right on!

And I thought I would add that some women are simply not blessed with hot flashes during meno.  Strange, eh?  I know hot flashes were the least of my problems, but instead I had massive irritability, anxiety, sleeplesness, etc.  

And, just a guess, but with if Tanya's ovaries never really produced much estrogen, then there was no hormone crash.  The only hormone crash she'll have is if she's coming off a form of HRT (like what she's doing now).  

Poor darlin... If they're really bothering her, the best thing to do is make sure she stays cool.  Even the slightest rise in body temperature can initiate those flashes... That's the hypothalmus overreacting to temperature shifts.  So, stay cool, and that hypothalmus should stay in check.  Lots of water may help too.

Love,
Stella
30 years old

Dx secondary POF 1993... no known cause

On Vivelle dot(.1) and prometrium 200 mg 12 days a month

Began process for embryo adoption Jan 2003.  Received 7 embryos in  
August 2003... None survived thawing 11/2003

Donated embryo transfer on July 13, 2004.  Ended in miscarriage 8/2004.

Mom to Thomas... Born 3/4/2006 via egg donation with sis