High Cholesterol

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rachel59

Rachel59

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:faith in Christ, reading, aerobics, etc.

Posted 03 March 2007 - 02:32 PM

Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone else out there with pof have had to deal with unusually high cholesterol?  Mine has been high for almost 20 years (back when they started testing for blood cholesterol).  These are Canadian figures, (which has a completely different scale from USA ones):

Total cholesterol: 7.22
LDL (low density lipo-protein or bad cholesterol): 5.07
HDl (high density.....or good cholesterol):  1.44

In USA figures that would be LDL: 201 and total 279.2

I tried going of Lipitor and Crestor at different times in the past and didn't stay on them due to bad side effects.  

My doctor said that my primary pof is the main reason for the high cholesterol, so i was wondering if anyone else has had to deal with that and how they are managing it.
Rachel
48, primary pof, bcp 5 yrs and hrt 24 yrs,also hypothyroid, 75 mcg synthroid, also hypoadrenia (adrenal fatigue)

#2 dianap

dianap

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:52 AM

Hello,

I am 38 and have high cholesterol since I was 16.  At the beginning I just watched my diet like crazy--my cholesterol went up:(  Then, I ignored it in my early 20s.  After I went on lipitor for a couple of years without problems.   I went off it while I was trying to get pregnant and then breastfeeding and then stayed off while I thought about getting pregnant and found out about my POF.  

My dad has high cholesterol so just think I got it from there.  Now, the MD is freaking out about my high levels, like yours overall but 0.2 of good cholesterol and just have lots of the bad stuff.  I had problems with lipitor recently and went off it in the first month and am now trying Crestor.  I sort of feel like I get palpitations--and now feel that I should go get the stress test.  I wonder if the drugs somehow don't mix right with the hormones (BCP or calcium?) I haven't had a doctor tell me that it's connected to POF though.  I'll go get my cholesterol tested in a month or so to see if it's helped.

Sorry, no real answers, just more questions.

Take care,
Diana
-dx at 37 symptoms at least a year (perhaps earlier but trouble remembering:)--currently 38
- daughter naturally conceived at 34 w/o difficulty, nasty thoughts when she didn't sleep and breastfed for 15 months which sometimes makes me feel that I started all this
- tried with Ovridrel to conceive but rarely could take it due to high fsh and sad that ovaries not working and baby seems very unlikely
- mother pof at 42 (might have been earlier but was on bcp until 42), grandmother at 36
- just started Premarin 0.3 mg and Provera 2.5 mg

#3 Rachel59

Rachel59

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 09:56 PM

Thanks for your response Diana.
My Dad must have had high cholesterol too as he died of an aortic aneurism at 57.....It must be genetic.
I know it's not my weight as my doc doesn't want me to lose any weight.  I'm medium to big boned and at almost 5'6" i weigh about 130, so it is not a weight problem....i wear a size 10.
I also have been on a low fat diet now for several years.
Well, i guess i'll try the crestor again.
Rachel
48, primary pof, bcp 5 yrs and hrt 24 yrs,also hypothyroid, 75 mcg synthroid, also hypoadrenia (adrenal fatigue)

#4 Marrimem

Marrimem

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Family History, Photography, Reading, crocheting, Cross-stitch<br><br>dx 16 at John's Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland<br>Primary Ovarian Failure, no known cause

Posted 27 April 2007 - 03:03 AM

Rachel, I'm a Primary POF'er with high cholestrol. I'm almost 47 and last had it tested in Oct. They didn't put me on meds because of my age. Dr. thought me to young for it. I had previously been dieting so long and then stopped. It's the first time I've had it ever. They did say my good chol was very good but my bad was really bad. My overall I think was like 297. I've started to try more of an Intitutive Eating or Conscious Eating approach using my hunger/fullness level and see if my eating not so much will help. I did change my oil to Canola instead of veg. & also us Olive Oil. Some nuts like Almonds are also great as is Oatmeal. I understand Fish Oil which comes in gel cap is great for it. I need to get some of that and try it. It certainly wouldn't hurt.

#5 Rachel59

Rachel59

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 02:18 AM

Thanks Marrimem,
I remember you.  After Rita and Wombat, you are the 3rd person I met who had primary pof in the whole world.  Until I met you ladies I felt so alone with my health problem!
I apologize for being away from the board.  I'm still busy trying to get my adrenals back in shape.  At this stage of the game, I've been on an adrenal glandular supplement for 19 months and have seen some dramatic improvement, but not back to normal and for the last 4 weeks I've been undergoing some training and hoping to get back to work after being away for 6 years and my symptoms are returning with the business and stress.  I may end up looking at cortef (steroid) after all.  My endo (who died 10 years ago) had warned me in a letter back in 1984 that possibly my thyroid and adrenal glands would give out later due to my ovarian dysgenesis, and he was right. I've also discovered last week that I have scoliosis (curvature fo the spine) which explains why my upper and lower back has been given me lots of grief.  Oh well, I'm making this last ditch effort at training to see if I may be able to at least do some relatively non-stressful part-time work and if this doesn't work out I will be looking at disability (that is, unless I can find me a wealthy hubby  :( ).  
Anyway, thanks very much Marrimem for your input on cholesterol!! I'm familiar with the oatmeal, olive oil, almonds, salmon oil, etc.  I think lecithin is supposed to help too.  I find it interesting that your doctor said you were too young to take statins.  My docs have never suggested that to me and you and I are the same age.  Hmmm.
Well, I should be getting to bed.  It's back to the Practice Firm tomorrow first thing and I need my beauty sleep.  :) .
Big Hugs to you,
Rachel