8 replies to this topic

#1 Bettifinn

Bettifinn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Interests:Diagnosed November of 2000.

Posted 13 July 2007 - 01:27 PM

Hi - My husband and I are going to start the adoption process. I've asked all over about the agencies people have used, and I'll get all sorts of mixed responses - someone will love an agency, then another will really dislike it for whatever reason.

I've talked to people who have used

World Child
Adoptions Together
IAAP (not in Maryland)
Adoptions from the Heart (in PA)

We are thinking Vietnam right now - anyone else?

Any advice would be very appreciated!

Thanks!

#2 del

del

• Moderators
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 02:10 AM

Hi Betti--

Perhaps getting on a Vietnam adoption forum would be helpful.  I will tell you I did a lot of research on agencies and and asked a zillion people  about their experiences.  I can honestly tell you that the agency we used had only really positive reviews and I made about 50 inquiries.  I do think it's possible to find but you will have to dig.  I would try the forum route and then email people and ask them if you can talk to them privately. Meaning,  not asking the agency for recommendations necessarily but finding them yourself (or as an adjunct to their referrals).   Even though it can be a tad awkward to ask people you don't know to talk to you, I found people to be really helpful and honest.  Also, is there a group in teh area for people who have adopted from Vietnam?  If so, attend some of their functions (mom's night out, picnics, etc. where you will meet lots of different people who used different agencies).  Choosing an agency is a really, really important part of the process.  I wish I could help you with Vietnam but being a fairly newly opened country, I don't know a lot.

Best of luck.  Tell us how it's going.  BTW, Chris used ATI for Russia.  You might want to check in with her about them.  They are probably the largest agency in Maryland but that doesn't mean a whole lot.  We used an out of state agency which was small and very personal.  

Del
Diagnosed POF at age 36 -- actually, I diagnosed myself thanks to Kathy's book!!  Married with two kids (one adopted from Russia).  Current hrt regimen Vivelle Dot 1 mg and Prometrium 100 mg. per day. History of hashimotos (thyroid) and some other autoimmune stuff.

#3 chris3148

chris3148

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 06:04 PM

Hi Betti!  Another MD girl here.  

FIRST, I agree with Del about checking the Vietnam forums.  Listen to everyone's stories, decide what is important for you.  Is is hand holding?  Bigger agency more referrals? healthy referrals? etc.  

SECOND, I do not know anything about Vietnam programs since we adopted from Russia BUT if I was to ever adopt again I would not limit myself to MD agencies.  I would find the BEST agency somewhere in the US.  Your homestudy sw will be close by and the phone/internet are the ways you would normally deal with your agency even if they were in MD.

LAST, I would never recommend Adoptions Together based on my experience and some others.  There are many people that are happy with them, BUT I had too many problems with them to ever use them again.  To sum up our problems: they are very disorganized with almost every aspect of their adoption process.  Not sure who runs the Vietnam program since it is fairly new there, but based on the Russain program I would say "RUN FROM THEM".

OH and congrats on starting the process!!!  Adoption is a WONDERFUL and AMAZING way to have a family. ;)

-Chris
35y, Married 13y
Dx w/POF August 2003 (FSH 191) after 2y TTC
3 chemical pg.
Vivelle Dot .1mg continually, Provera 10mg. days 1-12

Proud mommy to Emmalee Vera (5 years old) and Alexis Elena (3 years old) adopted from Novosibirsk, Siberia, Russia on March 13, 2006!

#4 del

del

• Moderators
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:14 PM

Hi again Betti--

As Chris said, you can use an out of state agency.  I did.  Don't limit yourself based on proximity alone.  Again, the agency is the biggest decision you'll make...

Chris, one day we need to meet up with our girls!

Del
Diagnosed POF at age 36 -- actually, I diagnosed myself thanks to Kathy's book!!  Married with two kids (one adopted from Russia).  Current hrt regimen Vivelle Dot 1 mg and Prometrium 100 mg. per day. History of hashimotos (thyroid) and some other autoimmune stuff.

#5 Michelle

Michelle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles!!

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:28 PM

Hiya, I thought I would chime in on the "don't limit yourself to an agency close by" bit.  We actually adopted our daughter from China using an agency in MT while we lived in the UK.  Yes, it provides bit more of a challenge, but it can work, especially if you find an agency that you really like.  
Michelle
DD-adopted from China on May 24, 2006

BTW-we are now in Maryland at Andrews AFB...I don't know if anyone ever meets up, but I'd be game.  (-:
Married to a great man, and mother to one great son and one great daughter.

We are stationed at Andrews AFB, MD for the next few years.

Our daughter is from the Jiangxi province in China.  Adopted on May 24, 2006.  Yea!!

#6 Bettifinn

Bettifinn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 04:20 PM

Hi Everyone! Thanks so much for the advice! Someone had recommended an agency in TN, but I thought that would be out of the question since it is so far away - so that is good to know that you can use out of state places. I'll have to look around for a Vietnam forum - it sounds like such a complicated process, but well worth it! Thanks again! Betti ;)

#7 chris3148

chris3148

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 01:40 AM

Hi Betti, I belong to this forum for Russian adoptions which is very active, and it looks like the Vietnam part of the website is getting more active too.  Try it out...

[url="http://forums.adoption.com/vietnam-adoption/"][url]http://forums.adoption.com/vietnam-adoption/[/url][/url]

Hope you can find some help there,
Chris
35y, Married 13y
Dx w/POF August 2003 (FSH 191) after 2y TTC
3 chemical pg.
Vivelle Dot .1mg continually, Provera 10mg. days 1-12

Proud mommy to Emmalee Vera (5 years old) and Alexis Elena (3 years old) adopted from Novosibirsk, Siberia, Russia on March 13, 2006!

#8 Bettifinn

Bettifinn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 04:46 PM

Thanks so much! I've been reading the forums and there is so much to take in!

#9 Mom2Nicolas

Mom2Nicolas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 01:41 AM

CONGRATS on the decision to adopt!  It's an incredible journey!!!!  We used Wide Horizons for Children, Inc. based in MA but they have offices in:  CT, NY, NH/VT, NJ & RI.  We adopted our wonderful son, Nicolas (now 2 years old), from Korea.  We just started the process for #2 from Korea so Nicolas will have a brother or sister!!!!   ;)

Linda
Diagnosed POF @ 29yrs after ttc for 2 years
Now 36 and feeling major effects of menopause these days  
Our first angel, Nicolas, came home from Korea in 8/2005
Waiting for our second angel to come home from Korea

Linda
Diag POF at 29 while ttc #1, now 36
Married with 2 babies Nicolas (2 years), adopted from Korea &
my furry baby, Bella (5 years) the Bulldog
Just started paperwork for a brother or sister from Korea